Replacement window installation is a major home improvement project that many homeowners only go through once in their lifetime. Because of this, most people don’t know what to expect when they initiate the installation process. If you’re ready to install new windows in your home but just don’t know much about the process, this article will serve as a good introduction. The more you know about window installation before you start meeting with window dealers and installers, the easier it will be for you to make a decision and keep the window installation process moving. Here’s what you need to know.
Step #1: Consultation, Budgeting & Decision Making
Start by creating a budget and shopping for windows. As you meet with window dealers and explore different brands, you’ll get a sense for how much this home improvement project will cost. Once you have an estimate, you might want to seek financing either from the window dealer or from an independent lender if financing is needed.
When trying to decide what kind of windows to install, including style and brand, take these steps to make an informed decision:
- Visit a showroom to see the windows in person. Open and close samples to get a sense for how they function.
- Check references before signing a contract with a dealer or installer.
- Read the warranty to ensure the product you’re purchasing is backed by the company.
- Read the contract from the dealer/installer before signing. Ask questions about anything you don’t understand.
Most experts recommend you get quotes from multiple contractors. Having two or three bids to compare makes it easier to decide if the professional you’ve hired is right for the job. When you get your quotes, be sure you understand what’s included. You’ll want to be sure that all quotes include installation. Also, will they remove the old windows and take away all trash or will you be left to find a way to take your windows to the down dump. What kind of warranty is included? The warranty is usually a pretty good indication of the faith the dealer has in its windows. Also, be sure that installation, and not just the windows are covered by the warranty. You don’t want to be in a position where the window manufacturer blames poor installation and the installer blames poor product and you’re left in the middle with no warranty coverage
Step #2: Prepping Your Home
Your window installer should provide you with helpful information about what you can do to prepare your home for the window installation process. For example:
- Turn off home security systems.
- Move any window boxes.
- Trim back overgrown hedges that would impede the installer’s ability to reach the windows.
- Move furniture away from the windows.
- Remove curtains and blinds from the windows.
Your installer will give you more specific instructions to prepare your home. Follow these instructions to ensure that your home will be ready when the installer arrives.
Step #3: Installation Process
Window installation can be loud. Some homeowners want to be present while the installation takes place, while others want to be out of the house to escape the noise. You can decide what is best for you. Installation usually takes only one or two days for a modest-sized home, while larger properties may take longer.
When the work is done, the installers should replace any trim that was taken down. Your home should look like its old self (but better!) once the new windows are in place.
The work isn’t done until you’ve performed a final walk-through with the installer.
Ready to Start Your Window Installation? Set Up Your Initial Consultation Today
Window installation starts with a consultation. Call 1-888-826-2451 or fill out the short form on this page today to make an appointment with Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro to learn more about our windows with frames made of durable, energy-efficient Fibrex.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement Windows Click Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!