Winter is on its way – and with it comes cold weather that can make your home feel drafty and chilly, forcing you to turn up your thermostat and increase your energy bills. One of the ways that you can prevent this problem from occurring is by preparing your patio doors for winter now while it’s not freezing cold out. Patio doors that have been well-maintained, weather stripped and repaired are less likely to have problems like drafts and leaks. Get your patio doors ready for winter with the following tips.
Manage Drafts at Your Doors
Check your doors for drafts. There are a few ways this can be done. One way to check for drafts is to hang light sheer curtains in front of the door. If the sheers move or sway on breezy days, your patio door is drafty.
You can also put a lit candle by the crack in the door. If the flame moves or bobs mysteriously, this is another sign of a draft. If your door is drafty, check the weatherstripping and replace if needed.
Inspect & Replace Door Weatherstripping
Weatherstripping should fill the spaces between the door and the frame in your home. Over time, weatherstripping can become permanently compressed, and that impacts its ability to do its job keeping cold air out and warm air in. When you’re checking the weatherstripping, make sure it’s still spongy enough to fill the gaps between the door frame and the door when its closed.
If it’s not spongy, it’s likely leaving gaps that let outside temperatures inside and weatherstripping needs to be replaced. You should also check for cracks that indicate your weatherstripping has outlived its effective lifespan. If the weatherstripping has any of these problems, then just replace it.
Repaint or Refinish Your Doors as Needed
Is the paint or finish on your doors wearing out? Get your doors repainted or refinished before winter arrives. A new finish or paint job will protect the door frame and door itself from damage from moisture and other problems that can happen in winter.
Know the Signs Door Replacement is Necessary
Patio doors can last for decades, but at some point they need to be replaced. Some signs that your patio doors need replacement include:
- Your door is still drafty, even when weather stripped.
- Your door needs serious, costly repair.
- The space around your door is often chilly in winter and warm in summer, despite repairs.
- The door has foggy glass due to humidity trapped between the panes.
If your doors are getting older and aren’t performing as well as they used to, it may be time for replacement. Consider getting a quote from a door replacement expert.
Replacing Your Patio Door This Fall? Get Started Now
Patio doors made by Renewal by Andersen are made from durable, long-lasting, energy efficient materials. Our dual-paned replacement patio doors are beautiful to behold, add value to your home, and can help keep your home’s interior comfortable this winter. Call Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro at 1-888-826-2451 or fill in the short form on this page to learn more about installing new patio doors in your home.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement Windows Click Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!