Sadly, every year small children the disabled and pets are injured by becoming entangled in dangling cords. You can follow some basic guidelines to limit exposure to dangerous cords.
Are You Up-to-Date on Window Covering Safety Standards?
Fall is such a fabulous time in our area. New Jersey and metropolitan New Yorkers have myriad opportunities to get out and enjoy seasonal events. From leaf peeping in a local park to visiting a pumpkin patch for a hayride and hot apple cider, autumn is one of the most enjoyable times of the year. For homeowners who are considering updating their dwellings with replacement windows, the annual Archtober events give New York’s design community provide another chance to showcase the buildings that give our area its character and personality. Attending one of the 100+ tours, films, and public celebrations is an excellent way to see up close how window style impacts aesthetics and function in both new and older buildings.
October is also National Window Covering Safety Month.
Next month there will special events to inform and educate the general public about window treatments designed to look beautiful and reduce safety risks for children and pets. Last week our readers found information about enhancing safety with replacement window design choices, this post focuses on dressing your new windows with innovative window treatments that lower risks for the most vulnerable members of our families.
How Does the Correct Replacement Window Covering Choice Improve Safety?
Sadly, every year small children and the disabled are injured by becoming entangled in dangling cords. Curious pets also are attracted by things that hang down and move when a breeze blows through an open window. To prevent strangulation and entrapment, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (USCPSC) recommends people living with infants and children avoid corded window coverings, or follow some basic guidelines to limit exposure to cords.
- Look for Best for Kids certified window treatments that bear the seal of approval for enhanced design safety.
- Shorten window cords to the shortest length possible, out of reach by inquisitive hands.
- Whenever possible, choose non-corded window treatments, or curtains/shades with interior cords that aren’t easily accessible or visible from a child’s line of sight
- Ensure cord stops are properly installed to prevent inner cord movement on shades, draperies and blinds
- Use a floor- or wall-anchor device to tightly secure continuous-loop pull cords often seen in draperies, roller shades and some vertical blinds
- When using older blinds and shades, consider installing a repair kit. The Window Covering Safety Council offers free kits for many styles. Get yours by visiting windowcoverings.org or dialing 800-506-4636.
- Look for corded blinds with a cord length no longer than 40 percent of the blind height. If you order custom-fitted window treatments either choose a no-cord option, or request cords are inaccessible and/or follow the same length standards.
- Never position furniture or other movable objects that can be climbed to reach dangling cords near windows.
As industry standards tighten, it is likely that soon almost all off-the-shelf corded window coverings will be manufactured with child safety in mind. There are currently no rigorous standards for custom designed and made window treatments, but buyers can proactively request the highest safety standards to protect their families.
Creating Safer Home Environments is A Choice for New Jersey & New York Metro Homeowners
Renewal by Andersen replacement windows are designed and manufactured with a focus on home safety and security. Buying safer window treatments enhances home safety even more. If you need more information about window or window covering safety, simply fill in the short form on this page or call 1-888-826-2451 and speak to a replacement window specialist today.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement Windows
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!