Your historic home is likely your largest and most important investment. The windows of your old home are an important feature – combined with other architectural details they help give your house its character and beauty. Sometimes historic windows are a benefit, other times they can cause significant health, safety and economic issues.
As a New Jersey or New York Metro homeowner, it’s important to know when your historic windows can be repaired or need to be replaced. If they do need replacement, it’s vitally important to replace them with quality windows from a reputable company, to help maintain or even improve the value of your home.
Know the Signs Your Windows Need Replacement
As historic windows age, their parts start to wear out. This is especially true of windows that have not been well maintained over the years. If previous homeowners have neglected your windows for years, unfortunately, there may be no saving them. There are many signs that your historic windows are doing more damage to you and your home than good. Leaking or damaged windows can let in moisture and insects, which can create health and safety issues for you and your family as well as lead to more costly repairs.
- Leaks. Inspect the area around your windows for signs of leaks. Look for water stains, mold, mildew, bubbling, peeling, cracking and other signs of deterioration on the sill, frame and the walls around the windows.
- Windows won’t open properly, or stay open. Windows that won’t stay open likely have broken parts inside aren’t really living up to their purpose. Operable windows are designed to open to let in fresh air and close tightly to keep out the weather. Windows that won’t open anymore may have become warped or damaged as the house settled or just from normal wear and tear. Either way, fixing or replacing these windows will go a long way toward improving your family’s quality of life.
- Windows need thousands of dollars in repairs. If your windows are in bad enough shape that they need thousands of dollars in repairs, it may be time to ask yourself: is the cost worth it? If the windows are inefficient in the first place, replacement may save you significant money in heating and cooling bills every year.
Work with a Reputable Window Replacement Company
When the time comes to install new windows in your home, meet with multiple dealers and installers to find the right company with which to work. In addition to checking out the product quality, ensure you spend some time researching the company itself. Some window companies only sell the window product and leave the homeowner to find their own installer. Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey & New York Metro installs all their own windows, so you won’t have to shop for an installer separately.
When you’re looking for the right window company, here’s what to watch for:
- Good warranty. A good window warranty is a sign that a company has confidence in its products and services. For an example of a good window warranty, check out Renewal by Andersen’s warranty.
- Good customer service. Good customer service practices are a sign that a company puts customers first and protects you from future headaches.
- Skilled craftsmen. Proper installation is critical, as it will affect the value of your windows, and your home for years to come. Hire a company that only works with skilled craftsmen. Check references to see what experience previous customers have had with the company.
Choose the Right Window Style & Grille Pattern
Every historic home has its own distinct architectural style. It’s important to choose windows that match that architectural style. Window styles that pair well with many historic homes include:
- Double-hung or single hung
- Picture windows
- Bow windows or bay windows
Choose the window style and grille pattern that best matches the character and appearance of your house. Work with your window dealer to choose a window design that enhances your home’s appearance.
Replacing the Windows in Your Historic Home? Contact Us
At Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro, we help homeowners with valuable historic properties choose the right windows for their house every day and we install all the windows we sell with our own team of qualified and trained installers. Contact us today at 1-888-826-2451 or fill in the short form on this page for more information or a free, in-home window or door consultation.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement Windows Click Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!