Getting your New Jersey and New York home ready for the holidays means sprucing up the house and cleaning before guests arrive. Before hanging decorations, you’ll want to clean your windows as part of your holiday preparations. Below are some window cleaning and maintenance tips to make your job easier from your friends at Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and Metro New York.
A word of caution first about decorating your windows for the holidays. Many of our friends and neighbors go all out with their holiday decorations and we always enjoy seeing the twinkling lights and holiday scenes come to life this time of year in neighborhoods throughout the area. But, keep in mind that while properly applied window clings are harmless to your beautiful Renewal by Andersen replacement windows, you should never use adhesives to attach seasonal decorations. If you decide to use some of that spray-on artificial snow, read the label first. Make sure the product you choose will not require harsh solvents to remove after the holiday celebrations are over. Of course, you also want to avoid nailing or screwing anything into your frames to attach lights or other decorations, as this will damage your windows and void part of your warranty.
Here are a few pointers for window decorating and pre- and post-decorating clean up after the holidays.
1. DON’T USE HARSH CHEMICALS. Harsh chemicals can damage factory applied features that protect against harmful UV rays and prevent water spots. Never use glues and adhesives that require strong solvents to remove after use.
2. DON’T USE NON-WATER-SOLUABLE PRODUCTS. Avoid non-water-soluble paint and foam applications. Your Renewal by Andersen replacement windows are designed for easy-care and maintenance and only require a mild soap and water solution to remove even stubborn grime.
3. DON’T USE METAL SCRAPERS. Never apply (or remove) applications with metal scrapers or steel wool. Use soft foam brushes to apply water-soluble paints and soft, lint-free cloths to remove applications.
4. DON’T USE NAILS OR SCREWS. Don’t hang lights and garland on your frames or glass using nails or screws. Drilling or nailing into your window components cause holes which can allow water and moisture infiltration which will reduce energy efficiency and may cause permanent damage.
5. DON’T SPRAY FIBREX FRAMES. Avoid spraying paint, foam and other colorants on Fibrex material. While the composite resists rot, mold, mildew and water damage, some chemicals can discolor your Fibrex components and cause irreparable damage and may void certain parts of your warranty. Applying paint or stain creates a maintainable surface which will require ongoing care and resurfacing in the future.
6. DO PROTECT SCREENS & GRILLES. Screens and removable grilles should be protected from chemical just like your windows. Remove both before applying holiday decorations and clean separately to protect your accessories. Use a damp, soft cloth to wipe down grilles and watch this video how to remove and clean replacement window screens.
Replacement Window Cleaning Steps For Before & After Decorating Clean-up
The links below give you more detail about cleaning different window styles, but these tips provide information that applies to all Renewal by Andersen replacement windows.
• Apply plain water, or a mild solution of white vinegar and water, to glass surfaces.
• Wipe in a circulation motion, working from the top of the window to the lower edge.
• Immediately remove solution with a clean, soft cloth or squeegee to prevent streaks and spots. If using a squeegee, wipe the blade after each swipe.
• Avoid cleaning your replacement windows on bright sunny days or when the window is exposed to direct sunlight to minimize solution residue and streaks.
How to Remove and Replace Renewal by Andersen Replacement Window Grilles
Click on this link to view a demonstration that shows how to remove and replace window grilles
How to Clean Specific Styles of Renewal by Andersen Replacement Windows
Click on the link below that matches your window style to watch a short video that shows how to clean the window style(s) in your home. Be sure to be extra careful climbing ladders to clean upper floor fixed windows and ask for help if you are cleaning over-sized tilt-in styles to protect yourself and your windows.
Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey & New York Metro Helps Homeowners Clean Up Before & After the Holidays
If you need more tips to help make your New Jersey and New York replacement window holiday cleaning chores easier and less stressful, give one of our professional replacement window consultants a call at 1-888-826-2451. Don’t have beautiful, high-performance replacement windows in your home yet, but think you might want to install them soon? Fill in the short form on this page to request more information.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement Windows
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!