Patio doors last about 30 years, if they’re well-made and treated well. When they reach the end of their service life, they need to be replaced. Old patio doors that haven’t been well maintained can be very energy inefficient, difficult to use and even unattractive. Knowing how to replace your old patio doors can help you improve the way your home looks and functions, so here’s what you need to know.
#1. Create a Budget for Your New Patio Doors
Start by creating a budget. If you have the money saved for this project, then making a budget is a straightforward process: just make sure to tell your dealer and installer how much you can afford to spend. If you don’t have the money saved, you’ll have to look into getting financing for your project.
Start by shopping around for the right patio doors, and get quotes for both the door and the installation. Doing this will help you decide how much you’ll need to borrow (or save) to finish your project. Talk to lenders or make a plan to save the money for your patio door replacement.
#2. Choose a Patio Door Style
Perhaps the most enjoyable part of picking your new patio doors is selecting a style. Patio doors come in lots of different styles including contemporary sliding, French sliding and French hinged. It’s also important to choose a color, grille pattern and hardware style that’s right for your home.
Shop around, explore the different options available to you, and consult with members of your household to make the best decision for your home. Be sure to take into consideration your future goals for your home, including any remodels you’re planning that could change the look and feel of the room where the patio doors will be installed. Be sure to consider furniture placement both inside and outside your door, especially if your considering a French In-Swing or Out-Swing door.
#3. Pick Your Patio Door Dealer/Installer
Pick the right dealer and installer for your patio door installation. Sometimes choosing the right dealer and installer is hard. To make this easier, consider:
- Warranty. Read the product warranty. A solid warranty is one of the first signs that a product is high quality. Compare warranties between different patio door dealers and installers to help you decide which products are best.
- Durability and quality. Compare materials. How durable is the frame and grille? What kind of glass is the patio door made from? Patio doors are mostly glass, so the right glass can have an impact on your heating and cooling costs, as well as your comfort in the room where the door is installed
- References. Call references to find out what previous customers have experienced with the specific dealer/installer that you’re considering.
#4. Review & Sign Your New Patio Door Contract
You should always get a written agreement when making a home improvement like the installation of new patio doors. Review the contract thoroughly before deciding whether to sign, and ask any questions that you may have about the contract before putting your signature on the dotted line.
#5. Prepare for Your New Patio Door Installation
Find out from your patio door installer what you can do to prepare for installation. Your installer may ask you to remove curtains above the doors and any furniture or potted plants kept in the vicinity around the doors. Your installer may also ask that you make arrangements to keep your pet away from installers while the work is being done.
Installing Patio Doors? Get Started Today
If you’re ready to install patio doors, contact Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro. To call us, use the toll-free number 1-888-826-2451 or use the short form on this page to schedule an appointment for a free consultation.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement Windows Click Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!