Winter is a favorite season for some of our Renewal by Andersen friends and neighbors living in New Jersey and metropolitan New York. Christmas and New Year gatherings, hitting the ski slopes and many other wonderful memories are created as the temperature drops. For others, cloudy, overcast skies and the dipping mercury signal the onset of a type of depression know as Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD.
More than 500,000 people suffer from SAD, and they struggle with moodiness, anxiety, weight gain, apathy and lethargy because they need an abundance of natural light to stay healthy and vital. While research shows most of us only need about 15 minutes of sunshine each day to stay healthy, people who suffer from this seasonal disorder crave sunshine to regulate their mood and essential body functions.
How Replacement Windows Fight SAD
Creating a light-filled indoor environment can help chase away the blues and blahs. Since we cannot all build glass rooms to maximize sunlight exposure, installing crystal clear replacement windows to replace scratched, cloudy home windows is a great place to start.
Remember that modern glass solutions allow homeowners to limit the amount of light that passes through the glass, control heat transfer and obscure the view. Choosing the correct glass type can offer huge benefits for people who live with SAD.
Follow these guidelines when customizing replacement windows for your home.
- Choose window styles, such as sliders and picture windows that have narrow, low-profile frames to ensure you have the largest possible viewing area within a given space. These solutions provide a wonderful view of the outside, but also allow the highest amount of light to pass through the glass.
- Select window glass options that do not lower light levels or limit light transfer.
- Skip grilles and patterned glass.
- Consider replacing small fixed window units with bay or bow configurations to expand light opportunities even more.
- Eliminate shutters and other ornamental elements that may be beautiful to look at, but could hinder light flow.
Other Strategies to Help You Manage Your Winter Blahs
Updating home windows can make a dramatic improvement in your health and wellness, but don’t stop there.
- Make time to get outdoors and soak up some extra sunshine.
- Take a walk on your lunch break on sunny days.
- Eat well and get plenty of sleep to boost your mood.
- Use artificial lighting and maximize daylighting to elevate indoor light levels.
- And, make sure you talk to your replacement window dealer about effectively managing light and heat transfer with your new fixtures.
Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement Windows Help You Achieve Better Health
Learn How You Can Be Glad, Not SAD Throughout the Seasons
Your health matters to the Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro team. SAD can affect you and your loved ones any season, although warm-weather SAD is less common. Getting an abundance of natural sunlight is vital to your health. Replacing damaged windows with discolored or cloudy glass is a great first step.
Need more information? Ready to explore replacement window options for your home. Simply fill in the short form on this page or all us at 1-888-826-2451 today to schedule a private, no-obligation, in-home consultation today.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!