Does your home have sidelights? The terms sidelights or sidelites aren’t as common as windows and doors, but many people have homes with sidelights and they may not even know it. In this article, we’ll talk about what sidelights are, how your home’s sidelights can impact the curb appeal and staging of your home and why it’s important to keep your sidelights in good condition to maintain the value of your home.
What Are Door Sidelights?
Sidelights are the windows, usually inoperable, that appear on either side of a doorway. Usually, sidelights appear near front or rear exterior doors, however, sidelights can appear on any door inside or outside the house.
Benefits of Door Sidelites
Here are some of the unique benefits of Sidelights:
- Convenience. Want to know if someone is at your front door? Check the sidelights on either side to see if someone is there. You may also be able to tell if you’ve got mail!
- Lighting. Sidelights on exterior doors allow abundant daylight into the home, making a brighter, more attractive home interior.
- Add to the width of your door. Sidelights make your door look wider than it really is, which gives your home an elegance it wouldn’t have without them.
How Can You Tell If Your Sidelights Need Replacement?
Sidelights don’t last forever. In fact, your home’s sidelights may get more wear and tear than other windows of your house. While sidelights don’t open, they do get banged and bumped into by people trying to bring things into your home. Also, they feel a little wear and tear every time you open and close your door, especially if it occasionally gets slammed. Watch for these signs that your sidelights need replacement:
- Cosmetic defects. Knicks in the wood, scratches and other cosmetic defects detract from your sidelights and your entry door.
- Foggy glass. If your sidelights are made from dual pane glass, the seal may eventually break. When the seal breaks, this can lead the glass to become foggy. Often this can be repaired, but if too many windows are experiencing the same problem, you may prefer to replace instead.
- No longer match the style of your front door. If you’ve ever replaced your front door without replacing the sidelights, then your home’s sidelights and front door styles may no longer match. It’s time for your sidelights to catch up!
How to Make Your Home’s Sidelights Stand Out
When your home’s sidelights need replacement, work with a quality replacement window and door installer. At Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro, we install quality windows that last for decades.
Need Door or Window Replacement? Call Today
It’s not just your home’s sidelights that need maintenance and occasional replacement; it’s all the windows in your house. At Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro, we provide replacement windows and doors for homeowners in the New Jersey and New York areas.
Our window frames are made from our proprietary Fibrex material and energy efficient, high performance Low-E4 glass. To learn more about replacing your windows with our quality window and door products, call today to for a consultation at 888-826-2451 or fill out the short form on this page.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement Windows Click Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!