If your windows are leaking air, installing new energy-efficient Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro replacement windows in your home can save you money on your heating and air conditioning bills month after month. And, energy-efficient upgrades add value to your home. Studies suggest that prospective buyers appreciate energy-efficient features and, they may be willing to pay more for a home with Energy Star certified windows, modern appliances and other energy-saving features.
Older windows can drain the wallet month after month, but some still argue that it isn’t financially prudent to put new windows in an old house. As the debate continues, here are some tips for getting the highest return on investment from replacement window upgrades.
Realize that replacing aging windows that allow air and moisture to enter your home with modern high-quality windows that eliminate leaks and tightly seal the building envelop do reduce the amount of energy needed to keep a home comfortable.
According to Energy.gov, “Heat gain and heat loss through windows are responsible for 25%–30% of residential heating and cooling energy use.”
The agency reminds people that it is essential to choose the correct type of replacement window for the local climate, and to invest in the “most energy-efficient” windows you can afford to ensure you capture the highest value and return on investment.
Designing Best-Fit Replacement Windows.
Along with buying high-quality replacement windows custom-built for our local climate, homeowners will enjoy higher savings on heating and air conditioning bills when they choose the proper glass type for each window based on the number of hours of direct sunlight that hit the window each day, the amount of shade cast by surrounding structures and other factors.
Frame material, glass choices, and design features such as gas-fill and properly sized spacers all impact a window unit’s performance. Look for components recommended by The National Fenestration Rating Council and Energy.gov to ensure you’re getting top quality windows.
How much money you can save depends on the overall condition of your home and what other energy-efficiency boosting measures you take. For example, ensuring attic and wall insulation is adequate along with the replacement window project will lower the monthly costs associated with heating and air conditioning your home even more than simply replacing the windows and patio doors.
Here are some other tips to help you boost energy-efficiency.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with LEDs
- Add an insulating blanket to your water heater tank
- Have the HVAC system professionally cleaned and serviced at least twice each year to ensure maximum performance
- Adjust your thermostat – lowering your thermostat during winter months by just 2 degrees for 8 hours can cut the heating bill by 10% per month. (Note: you may also consider installing a smart thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature when no one is home.)
- Hire an energy auditor to inspect your home. Or, spend a day looking for leaks that could be allowing air and moisture transfer. Common problem areas include:
- missing weatherstripping around doors
- attic hatches/doors
- wall or window mounted room air conditioners
- ceiling fan mounting base
- electric outlets and switch plate covers
- around plumbing pipes and wires
Schedule an In-Home Consultation with a Renewal by Andersen Replacement Window Specialist
Investing in replacement windows and patio doors for your New Jersey or New York Metro home can help you reduce heating and air conditioning costs. Learn more about designing high-performance, Energy Star certified windows and doors, and how to get the highest return on your investment possible today. Simply fill in the short form on this page to request a brochure, or dial 1-888-826-2451 to schedule a no-obligation consultation with a replacement window specialists in your neighborhood.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!