New Jersey and New York metro homeowners who install Renewal by Andersen Energy Star labeled replacement windows not only enjoy advanced features that reduce heating and air conditioning bills, but also add features that make them easy to clean and maintain. Taking care of Renewal by Andersen New Jersey and New York metro replacement windows is almost effortless. In fact, factory applied technology works every day to keep windows cleaner and eliminate water spots from forming on the exterior surface of the glass. When the sun hits the window pane, dirt starts to magically disappear.
Window Cleaning Tips
All that is usually needed to clean high-performance replacement windows is a mild soap and water solution, lint-free cloths and a little time. You can use a commercial window cleaning product; however avoid harsh chemicals, and never use a sharp object, steel wool or other abrasive material to remove surface grime. Also avoid using scratchy materials to clean glass and frame components because you may scratch the surfaces (and potentially damage protective finishes).
Modern window design allows homeowners to clean both surfaces of most operable windows from inside their home. Very large, casement windows may require you to go outside to reach some portions of the glass. Cleaning second story windows has never been easier, but it is still a good idea to exercise caution, when the pane is out of place for cleaning. Make sure small children are closely supervised and kept away from window openings while the panel is repositioned for cleaning.
If this is your first time cleaning your new replacement windows, you may want to watch a short video or two that explains how to remove screens and decorative window grilles. Most video clips are less than two minutes.
- Gather cleaning supplies.
- Arrange for a helper if you have lift-out panel styles – such as sliding replacement windows. You can lean your tilt-to-clean panel on a chair or have someone hold the panel for you while you clean the exterior surfaces.
- Remove detachable grilles and insect screens before you start cleaning other surfaces.
- Wipe down all surfaces, rinse if using a cleaning solution, and dry with a clean, soft cloth.
- While cleaning, inspect joints, tracks, weather-stripping, seals and all surfaces for hidden dirt and debris.
- Consult your replacement window dealer if you find any issues that signal premature aging or damage.
- Remove all dirt and debris from sliding window tracks. You may use a soft bristle brush or vacuum cleaner crevice attachment before wiping down the area.
- Using a soft bristle brush, gently clean window screens (never spray screens with a water hose, as the force may damage the fabric).
- Return window panes to the original position and lock in place.
- Attach grilles and screens.
- Relax and enjoy the view.
How Often Should You Clean & Inspect Replacement Windows?
There is no hard and fast rule about how often home windows need to be cleaned. Some people make it a habit to clean their home top to bottom at the start of each season. Once or twice a year is usually sufficient to ensure your windows continue to look and perform as designed throughout their life cycle.
If you’ve been thinking about installing replacement windows in your New Jersey or New York Metro home, this is a great time to get started. Learn more about styles, accessories and energy-efficient features today. Just fill in the short form on this page or dial 1-888-826-2451 to speak to a Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey or New York Metro representative.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!