Warranty Considerations When Updating Your New Jersey or New York Metropolitan Area Home
When you purchase replacement windows or patio doors for your New Jersey or New York Metro home, you expect them to last for as long as you live in your home. Part of your peace of mind with your new home improvement products lies in their warranty coverage, so you want to be sure not to do anything that might compromise that warranty.
There are three home upgrade projects that could potentially impact your replacement window and patio door warranty coverage:
- Upgrading security systems
- Repainting interior surfaces
- Installing options to improve comfort or aesthetics, such as shutters and awnings.
Let’s take a look at why your decisions require careful consideration.
1. Updating Security Systems
Many security experts consider windows the weakest element in a home. Criminals looking for entrance often seek out unlocked doors and windows. If you’re looking for windows that bolster security, consider a window style with multipoint locking mechanisms and laminated or heat treated glass which is stronger than standard glass options.
If you’re considering upgrading your existing security system and you’ve already installed new replacement products, do your research before making a decision.
Most perimeter security systems have some type of technology to protect against unwanted intrusion via windows and doors. Wired systems may involve drilling into the window frame. Modifying your windows could reduce their energy efficiency and allow moisture and air infiltration as well as void your warranty.
Wireless security systems are preferable to protect your window investment. Consult your warranty policy or contact a Renewal by Andersen consultant before you modify your system to ensure your family is protected and you aren’t compromising your coverage.
2. Updating Your Decorating Scheme
Whether you’re getting ready to add new shutters or awnings to the outside of your home, or you’re thinking of changing the interior décor, it’s essential to review your warranty policy before you invest in home improvement supplies.
Stainable window and door interiors are designed to give you the freedom to change colors and textures to match your current decorating schemes, but protecting your investment means you must follow a few simple guidelines.
- Finish interior wood surfaces immediately after installation to protect your surfaces. Leaving interiors unstained may lead to wood warping or bowing, discoloration or other damage.
- Be especially careful not to get paint the important weather-stripping, vinyl, glass or hardware.
- If you choose to paint Perma-Shield cladding, remember you are creating a surface that will require routine resurfacing. Because dark colors absorb heat, we recommend you only resurface cladding with light colors for best results, pastels are preferable.
- Painting the vinyl sheath on Perma-Shield sliding patio doors may cause surface damage and is not recommended.
- Remove any paint residue from glass immediately. Avoid using sharp scraping tools. Instead use a cloth or plastic scraper that will not damage special coatings or mar glass panels.
Read your warranty and care and maintenance literature thoroughly before beginning a redecorating project. When it doubt, it’s best to check with your replacement window representative for guidance and clarification about what treatments and modifications will impact warranty coverage.
3. Modifying Replacement Windows & Adding Accessories
Your Renewal by Andersen warranty does not cover accessories installed on or adjacent to your replacement windows and patio doors. This means that you’ll be responsible for any construction costs associated with installing awnings and shutters.
If your contractor damages glass, frames, trim or other components during the upgrade, your warranty will not cover the cost of repairing or replacement those parts or products.
Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re considering modifying your new windows.
- When installing awnings and shutters, avoid drilling into frames or placing screws in places that impact operation.
- Affixing tints and film to glass panels will alter performance and void certain parts of your warranty coverage.
- Hiring anyone other than an authorized Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey and New York Metro technician to modify your windows and patio doors impacts your warranty.
Contact Renewal by Andersen of Central New Jersey & New York Metro for Guidance Before You Update Your Home
Renewal by Andersen home improvement products are precision-built to perform perfectly for as long as you live in your home. Of course, we understand you want the freedom to create beautiful, aesthetically pleasing spaces. Upgrading security systems gives homeowners peace of mind and in this day and age, adding another layer of security to protect your family is practical.
To help you achieve your goals, we’ll be happy to review your upgrade plan with you and go over issues that may impact your warranty coverage. If you haven’t installed replacement windows and patio doors yet, we welcome the opportunity to discuss security systems, decorative features like shutters and awnings and design features to improve comfort and curb appeal.
Give us a call at 1-888-826-2451 or fill in the short form on this page to discuss your options.
Download our Free Guide to Getting the Perfect Replacement Windows for You & Your Family
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!