Let’s talk replacement windows and lowering the monthly energy bills. Utility bills naturally creep up during extreme weather cycles. Heating bills are highest in the dead of winter, and AC spending soars with rising temperatures in the summer. But, if high utility bills seem to be creeping up and never falling back down, you may have hidden problems that should be addressed. As a replacement window company, Renewal by Andersen of New Jersey & New York Metro naturally recommends people inspect their home’s windows and patio doors for failure that may be causing your spike in utility bills. Replacement windows and patio doors can fix many of the problems seen with aging windows and doors.
There are other reasons our New York and New Jersey neighbors are struggling to keep heating bills in line this year. Here are a few things to consider.
#1. Both Old & New Appliances Can Cause Higher Electric Bills
As appliances – refrigerators, freezers, washers and dryers – age they become less efficient and that means they work harder and use more electricity to get the job done. Even new energy-efficient appliances can also cause the monthly bills to go up a little when you use all the extra bells and whistles.
People who install new Energy Star certified appliances should see their energy efficiency improve compared to using older models, but adding larger appliances, or more appliances, to the mix, such as buying a bigger flat screen or adding a full-house stereo system, can increase energy requirements.
#2. More People = More Energy Use
When new people move in, you’ll see an increase in monthly spending. More people usually means the dishwasher, clothes washer, water heater and small appliance use may increase significantly. More use equals more energy spent.
#3. ‘Vampire Appliances’ Account for 5% of Home Energy Use
Vampire appliances – appliances plugged in and ready, but not in use – have a small, though noticeable impact on electric bills. The more electric-dependent devices you keep plugged in, the larger the drain. Think televisions, laptops, computers, your Amazon Echo, garage door openers and stereo or DVR systems.
#4. Utility Companies Adjust Rates
The price of utility service fluctuates. You can find out quickly if your rates have changed recently by reviewing your billing history with the electric company or by calling their customer service team to discuss recent rate changes. You cannot force your provider to lower their rates, but you can be proactive about managing your personal energy use.
Here are five steps you can take today toward lowering the monthly bills.
- Be conscious about when and how you use electricity.
- Unplug the vampire appliances and use smart power strips to reduce stand-by energy drain.
- Consider a fixed-rate plan that helps you budget based on monthly averages.
- Ask your utility provider if they offer lower rates for off-peak use, washing your clothes or running the dishwasher while you sleep could save your money.
- Schedule a consultation with a replacement window specialist to inspect home windows for damage and failure.
Lower Your Heating Bills This Winter with Efficient Replacement Windows & Patio Doors
The Renewal by Anderson of New Jersey & New York Metro team are not electricity experts, but we know the value of updating you home with high performance replacement windows and patio doors. Energy Star certified replacement windows guaranteed to stop air and moisture leaks can lower the cost of heating your home by 10 to 25 percent, according to Energy.gov. Learn more by filling in the short form on this page or call 1-888-826-2451.
Download our Free Guide to New Jersey & New York Metro Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement Windows Click Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!